Skip to main content

Things do not change; we change.

In college I use to always make sure I checked Post Secret everyday. I loved it; the site made me laugh, cry and feel. I related to posts or I felt blessed because I did not relate.

But then, over time I checked it less and less frequently- I missed it sometimes, the secrets were always interesting to me, but life got busy and usually when I thought of the site it was at all the inopportune times when I couldn't visit the site for a variety of reasons.

But now that I'm at a job that isn't busy and usually the resources I need to do my job are almost always broken I have a lot of free time to browse the web. This has brought me back to Post Secret and I've found something has changed.

I don't love it anymore and I don't know why. Is it Post Secret? I don't think so- why would the format change? Why would the secrets change? So I guess that means I have.

But how have I changed? I don't think I've ever been too angsty as a teen or during my college years.A quick google search tells me angsty people have "the feeling of not being understood by anyone and that the person is alone in the world." That's not me... I thought my life was unique in how all lives are, but not that unique that no one would understand what it's like.

So as I sit here I wonder, what changed? Why don't I relate... and I realized it's because I'm married.

It KILLS me to admit that. I hate that I've changed because I've gotten married, but it makes sense. I mean, like a typical mormon girl (see) I was anxious about marriage. It's taught to be such an important part of your life... and it is don't get me wrong, but I wonder if I would be a different girl today if people encouraged me to do more than get myself married, that for some reason I wasn't a complete person because I was single. But, because I was the way I was I was constantly worried about finding someone to love me- that I loved back. It's a hard dance and like everything else I think if you set your mind on it, something you cannot really control*, it eludes you. If you make it your reason for being- it won't happen... you'll just waste your time.

My little feminist self hates that marriage changed me. Why should it? But it did... and it did because my priorities changed. Marriage forces you to not be so selfish... when you're a college grad with a good job and you're single... you can become very selfish, it's a tough transition. 

Other things that changed for me: how you interact with the opposite sex- that has been weird for me. I've always been friends with guys, and didn't realize it but physically affectionate with guys... now it's weird to hug, touch during a convo, interact with guys

Work: before I got married I didn't mind long hours, late nights and working like crazy. 1. it was something to do and 2. it was something I was good at. Now I'm ready to sprint out of the office at the exact moment I can. I mean why be at work when I can be with the hubs? I have been told this will change and I won't care as much as time goes on, but we're getting close to 2 years and I still get grumpy if I'm at work late/ have to leave him.

Validation: This one has been hard for me. I use to find a lot of validation in interactions I've had with males. If they hit on me, flirt with me, compliment me. Guess what, that doesn't happen as much when you're married especially since my favorite going out buddy has a matching ring on his finger.

Socially: I am still social, but now for me if I spend time once a week with friends I'm pretty happy with my social level. Before I wanted s
tuff to do on most nights and an action packed event filled schedule each weekend. As I said before this is suppose to change, but right now there is only one person with whom I want to socialize with daily and I can do that at home.


I can go on and on, but this is a bit of a thought dump as it.

I guess my synopsis is I've changed. It's hard to admit it to myself but my marriage has changed me. I'm still Michelle says dumb things, talks way too much, laughs too loud and too much, spaz Dittman, but tacking a McCombs to the end of that has also made me Michelle I'd rather be at home with the hubby then out and about, find my own validation, doesn't work as hard McCombs.


*Okay I know some of you think you can control it- but it's not like I went on dates in sweat pants and didn't talk to boys... I tried to always appear put together and I was a flirting monster so really what more could I control... in the end it was the guy's choice


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rules of Dieting

Hi my name is Michelle and I have a very unhealthy relationship with food and dieting and the small amount of fat that resides on my mid section. There is something empowering and depressing about this all at once. It's empowering because I recognize it and I can sometimes remember it and control my brain, but it's depressing because I'm sure it's something that will only be fixed by therapy and time and I don't want to put in the work. Also, as a MO it's really one of the few vices I get... and really there are worse vices. As some of you know I was in the running to be on a infomercial. With it came food delivered to my door (no eating out of the box!) and 6 day a week, butt kicking bootcamp classes. The food was pretty yummy (although left me very hungry) and I really enjoyed the bootcamp after the first week of being so sore I could barely move. But then things started going wrong. First, it was HARD to stay on track when people around me were e

big changes and realizations

So Chad got into Columbia... and only Columbia so come end of August we will both be living in New York (hopefully the city and not a suburb...) I'm excited/nervous/scared/happy/proud/stressed/in awe/ every other emotion you could possibly feel. But today it all finally felt so real. I don't know why it was today... I don't know why it didn't happen when trying on dresses or tasting cake or any of the wedding planning. What made it real was talking to Chad's sister and saying "we". WE are moving to New York, WE are apartment hunting, WE aren't going to be around for Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving etc. WE are going to be in a huge city with a million people, but it's going to be just us 2 as we start building OUR life together. WOW. I'm excited.

I got friends who... (la la la) help me pull through....

I believe everything happens for a reason. I also believe that people are brought into your life for a reason- to help you grow in one way or another. Whenever I reflect on my life what I remember most about times in my life are the people I met and bonded with... I've been blessed with a happy disposition and the ability to make friends pretty easy and because of that I have an awesome bouquet of friends who live ALL over the country (and world...) now and they all have taught me something.... It's like each period of my life (usually broken down into where I live) has that friend that has impacted my life so much... California (round 1) - Danica... we were the coolest set of best friends Atherwood has ever seen! New Jersey - Michele and Nina... my life in New Jersey didn't seem like it was in order and happy until these 2 girls were my besties! It's when I finally came to love New Jersey Utah freshman yr - Bethie... randomly became roomies... we both thought the