Skip to main content

Most proud

Here's the essay I had to write for a job I was offered but turned down for my current job. It made sense- it was less pay and worse hours (overnight shift and graveyard) but sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I took this one instead...

Anyway the question (in case you don't pick it up by the intro sentence) was what are you most proud of and why?

As I have contemplated what I'm most proud of, it was quite difficult to pinpoint one singular thing. I just could not decide. Then finally it dawned on me, I'm most proud of me!

I have done many things with my life that I'm proud of. I have moved across the country on a whim, based on a promising internship, knowing no one, something I had never done before. I have moved, but it was always with someone else. I always had a safety net to my adventures, but this time I didn't know a soul. During that internship I learned a lot about myself that I'm proud of. I learned how to be independent, that it's okay to go to dinner or the movies by myself. I learned how to be me.

Another thing I'm proud of about myself is that I graduated college. I was never a bad student, but in college I changed my mind constantly and my family all joked that if anyone in our large family dropped out to pursue another life path or a whirlwind marriage it would be me. Part of this accomplishment that I'm proud of is that I managed to graduate after spending only 3 years on campus and two internships.

A third thing that makes me proud of myself is that I have forged a very strong relationship with each of my 5 siblings. I am certain that if you asked any of them which sibling they are closest to, they would all say me. In a family full of type A, stubborn, smart, over-achieving people this is quite the feat. I believe family is important and that all great relationships need to be fostered, and that takes work. I try to make my family a priority and show them I value them in my life.

Another one of my most proud accomplishments was when, right out of college, I landed a job at Disney. It was a very competitive position and I got it! Along those lines, I am also very proud of the fact that in just 3 short years I was able to progress from the role of coordinator to the role of Manager. I was one of the youngest managers in my Business Unit and I had worked hard to prove myself to everyone at the company. Anyone that worked with me knew that I was smart, professional, passionate and was an expert in my field. I cultivated that reputation and I am still regarded as a great resource by many of my old co-workers and executives.

There are many other small things about myself that I'm proud of, that I'm an awesome party planner, I make a really good sugar cookie, I have friends that live all across the US and the world, I can strike up a conversation with almost anyone, and that I am an incredibly upbeat happy person. So as I said when it really comes down to it, what I'm most proud of is myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rules of Dieting

Hi my name is Michelle and I have a very unhealthy relationship with food and dieting and the small amount of fat that resides on my mid section. There is something empowering and depressing about this all at once. It's empowering because I recognize it and I can sometimes remember it and control my brain, but it's depressing because I'm sure it's something that will only be fixed by therapy and time and I don't want to put in the work. Also, as a MO it's really one of the few vices I get... and really there are worse vices. As some of you know I was in the running to be on a infomercial. With it came food delivered to my door (no eating out of the box!) and 6 day a week, butt kicking bootcamp classes. The food was pretty yummy (although left me very hungry) and I really enjoyed the bootcamp after the first week of being so sore I could barely move. But then things started going wrong. First, it was HARD to stay on track when people around me were e

big changes and realizations

So Chad got into Columbia... and only Columbia so come end of August we will both be living in New York (hopefully the city and not a suburb...) I'm excited/nervous/scared/happy/proud/stressed/in awe/ every other emotion you could possibly feel. But today it all finally felt so real. I don't know why it was today... I don't know why it didn't happen when trying on dresses or tasting cake or any of the wedding planning. What made it real was talking to Chad's sister and saying "we". WE are moving to New York, WE are apartment hunting, WE aren't going to be around for Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving etc. WE are going to be in a huge city with a million people, but it's going to be just us 2 as we start building OUR life together. WOW. I'm excited.

I got friends who... (la la la) help me pull through....

I believe everything happens for a reason. I also believe that people are brought into your life for a reason- to help you grow in one way or another. Whenever I reflect on my life what I remember most about times in my life are the people I met and bonded with... I've been blessed with a happy disposition and the ability to make friends pretty easy and because of that I have an awesome bouquet of friends who live ALL over the country (and world...) now and they all have taught me something.... It's like each period of my life (usually broken down into where I live) has that friend that has impacted my life so much... California (round 1) - Danica... we were the coolest set of best friends Atherwood has ever seen! New Jersey - Michele and Nina... my life in New Jersey didn't seem like it was in order and happy until these 2 girls were my besties! It's when I finally came to love New Jersey Utah freshman yr - Bethie... randomly became roomies... we both thought the