Skip to main content

To those concerned about Prop 8

As I'm sure most of you know I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which is also commonly referred to as the Mormon church; and for those of you that don‘t know this, there ya go. There has been a lot to do about the Yes decision on Prop 8 and blaming my religion on it. To start with I would like to say that I am not going to mention how I voted, that was my own personal decision but I will state the facts. My church leaders did encourage us to vote Yes on Prop 8, that cannot be denied. I also have a significant number of friends and co-workers who I love and admire that are homosexual. This was a very concerning issue for me, and for many of my fellow members of my church. This was not a black and white issue (as in bigotry vs. love). I know many people who struggled with what to mark on their ballot on Election Day. I know members of my church who live in the state of California that voted yes on the proposition and I know members of my church who voted no. Unlike some rumors out there, voting No on Prop 8 was not grounds for removal from my church nor were we forced to vote yes. One of my religion's primary teachings is that we all have the right to make decisions for ourselves, that we are free to choose what to do. Yes, our Church has encouraged us to make certain decisions because we believe it will lead to us living a better life, but in the end the decision is ours. That being said, yes members of my church did donate money to the Yes on Prop 8 campaign. But did my Church, did officially money from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints donate money to the campaign? No it did not. According the citations on Wikipedia (which yes I know can be incorrect, but I check citations and it's all from reputable sources), here is a breakdown of monetary support for Prop 8.Donors who support Prop. 8Some of the larger or better-known donors supporting Prop 8 are: Knights of Columbus, $1,400,000.Howard Ahmanson, $1,150,000. John Templeton, $900,000. National Organization for Marriage, $785,750.Elsa Prince, $650,000. Fieldstead & Company, $600,000. American Family Association, $500,000 Focus on the Family, $411,000. Doug Manchester, $125,000.Donations from individual Mormons account for about $6.4 million of the approximately $18 million raised through September 24. In the 72-hour period ending Friday, October 24, Proposition 8 supporters raised $661,000 in donations exceeding $1,000. Campaign manager Frank Schubert announced on October 25 that an undisclosed "Yes on 8" supporter had agreed to match any contributions made by others up to $1,000,000.Another thing people need to realize is that 52% of the state voted Yes on 8. I've tried to find exact data on how many residents of California are associated with my church, but I cannot. I have heard that 2-4% of CA residents are LDS, and from what I've seen in my everyday life, that sounds like a pretty realistic number. So even if every single Mormon in California was old enough to vote (they're not) and voted Yes on Prop 8 (they didn't) and to be fair we went with the 4% that still means that 48% of Californians voted Yes on Prop 8 without being a member of my church.Now I can give you a list a mile long of reasons why people felt strongly to vote Yes on 8, but I won't. Because I'm not trying to convince anyone of any stance they should take on this issue, but what I will say is that there is no reason to threaten my life, threaten my religion, threaten my religious institutions, damn me to Hell or place all the blame/credit on my religion and the people that are also members of my Church for why Prop 8 passed, because in the end it was the majority of ALL residents of California that decided that Prop 8 should pass.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rules of Dieting

Hi my name is Michelle and I have a very unhealthy relationship with food and dieting and the small amount of fat that resides on my mid section. There is something empowering and depressing about this all at once. It's empowering because I recognize it and I can sometimes remember it and control my brain, but it's depressing because I'm sure it's something that will only be fixed by therapy and time and I don't want to put in the work. Also, as a MO it's really one of the few vices I get... and really there are worse vices. As some of you know I was in the running to be on a infomercial. With it came food delivered to my door (no eating out of the box!) and 6 day a week, butt kicking bootcamp classes. The food was pretty yummy (although left me very hungry) and I really enjoyed the bootcamp after the first week of being so sore I could barely move. But then things started going wrong. First, it was HARD to stay on track when people around me were e

big changes and realizations

So Chad got into Columbia... and only Columbia so come end of August we will both be living in New York (hopefully the city and not a suburb...) I'm excited/nervous/scared/happy/proud/stressed/in awe/ every other emotion you could possibly feel. But today it all finally felt so real. I don't know why it was today... I don't know why it didn't happen when trying on dresses or tasting cake or any of the wedding planning. What made it real was talking to Chad's sister and saying "we". WE are moving to New York, WE are apartment hunting, WE aren't going to be around for Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving etc. WE are going to be in a huge city with a million people, but it's going to be just us 2 as we start building OUR life together. WOW. I'm excited.

I got friends who... (la la la) help me pull through....

I believe everything happens for a reason. I also believe that people are brought into your life for a reason- to help you grow in one way or another. Whenever I reflect on my life what I remember most about times in my life are the people I met and bonded with... I've been blessed with a happy disposition and the ability to make friends pretty easy and because of that I have an awesome bouquet of friends who live ALL over the country (and world...) now and they all have taught me something.... It's like each period of my life (usually broken down into where I live) has that friend that has impacted my life so much... California (round 1) - Danica... we were the coolest set of best friends Atherwood has ever seen! New Jersey - Michele and Nina... my life in New Jersey didn't seem like it was in order and happy until these 2 girls were my besties! It's when I finally came to love New Jersey Utah freshman yr - Bethie... randomly became roomies... we both thought the