Skip to main content

Creature of Habit


I realized something today. I'm a creature of habit. I like sitting in the same seat everyday, using the same bathroom stall every time I go and I like working M-F 9-6. I'm such a creature of habit I actually think I'm being spontaneous and adventurous when I take a different route to my cube in the morning- I found out recently that no one else gets that thrill or sense of adventure.

To further illustrate my case I'll share with you a story about my Law and Politics class. About halfway through the semester I entered the class along the back wall (like I always do) and as normal I'm walking very jolly like; swinging my arms, bounce in my step, humming a little tune just like I always do. And then as I'm staring at my destination, my seat that I've sat in since day 1, I realize some STRANGE man is in it. I don't know what to do... I slow down and completely freeze. I think I would have stood back there the entire class if my friend hadn't seen it all go down and rush to get me into a chair for the day. I was so baffled! I've sat in that seat for half a semester and not only did I contribute daily to the class (usually some crazy "liberal" idea to enlighten all those Utah folks) I was one of about 5 girls in a class of 150. Surely he had to have known this was MY seat. I wasn't okay for the entire class period.

So anyway, my realization, (you thought it was that I was a creature of habit didn't you?) was that there is one area where I break from my habitual bonds and explore! That would be when it comes to what I eat. I CAN'T stand the idea of having a "usual" at a restaurant or even going to the same restaurant too often. Don't even get me started on repeating cuisine types too frequently (here's 2 sample conversations):

Co-Worker: Want to go get Italian for lunch?
Me: No I had spaghetti last night for dinner
Co-Worker: and....

Mom: I made you a veggie burger for dinner
Me: Were you aware that we ate burgers (mine being veggie) last night when you weren't home?
Mom: No, why does that matter?
Me: But I just ate a veggie burger
Mom: make your own dinner then brat
Me: *hangs head* A veggie burger is fine

I think that's why I like traveling. I have to step out of my comfort zone (habit and normalcy) which is exciting AND there is a whole new world of restaurants and foods to eat that I haven't eaten before!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rules of Dieting

Hi my name is Michelle and I have a very unhealthy relationship with food and dieting and the small amount of fat that resides on my mid section. There is something empowering and depressing about this all at once. It's empowering because I recognize it and I can sometimes remember it and control my brain, but it's depressing because I'm sure it's something that will only be fixed by therapy and time and I don't want to put in the work. Also, as a MO it's really one of the few vices I get... and really there are worse vices. As some of you know I was in the running to be on a infomercial. With it came food delivered to my door (no eating out of the box!) and 6 day a week, butt kicking bootcamp classes. The food was pretty yummy (although left me very hungry) and I really enjoyed the bootcamp after the first week of being so sore I could barely move. But then things started going wrong. First, it was HARD to stay on track when people around me were e

big changes and realizations

So Chad got into Columbia... and only Columbia so come end of August we will both be living in New York (hopefully the city and not a suburb...) I'm excited/nervous/scared/happy/proud/stressed/in awe/ every other emotion you could possibly feel. But today it all finally felt so real. I don't know why it was today... I don't know why it didn't happen when trying on dresses or tasting cake or any of the wedding planning. What made it real was talking to Chad's sister and saying "we". WE are moving to New York, WE are apartment hunting, WE aren't going to be around for Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving etc. WE are going to be in a huge city with a million people, but it's going to be just us 2 as we start building OUR life together. WOW. I'm excited.

I got friends who... (la la la) help me pull through....

I believe everything happens for a reason. I also believe that people are brought into your life for a reason- to help you grow in one way or another. Whenever I reflect on my life what I remember most about times in my life are the people I met and bonded with... I've been blessed with a happy disposition and the ability to make friends pretty easy and because of that I have an awesome bouquet of friends who live ALL over the country (and world...) now and they all have taught me something.... It's like each period of my life (usually broken down into where I live) has that friend that has impacted my life so much... California (round 1) - Danica... we were the coolest set of best friends Atherwood has ever seen! New Jersey - Michele and Nina... my life in New Jersey didn't seem like it was in order and happy until these 2 girls were my besties! It's when I finally came to love New Jersey Utah freshman yr - Bethie... randomly became roomies... we both thought the